A collection of what strikes me as worth noting.

Thursday, February 23, 2006

That Dubai Ports Contract Debate

I have been hearing so many versions of what's going on with the sale of US ports administration to a UAE (Dubai) company that I want to point out to people one confusing point. The ports themselves will not be sold to Dubai - this is no reverse Louisiana Purchase, here. The stevedoreing, scheduling, and other administrative arrangements of the ports in question are currently being run by a British firm. The British firm has arranged to sell its contract to a Dubai, UAE firm. Security will still be performed as it is currently by the U.S. Coast Guard and Customs office. We will still own the land, and the same entities who know the ports and the routines will still be protecting us. I am not troubled by who will monitor and administer the contracts - I would like it to be done by a well-experienced group, which this Dubai firm is. So next time you hear someone protesting that "We've gone and SOLD our ports to Dubai", you'll know better. Even if we could control a private British company sale (which I don't know that we have the authority to do so) it's just the paperwork burden that is being sold, not the land rights nor the responsibility to implement security measures. There. I feel better now.

No comments: